His name is "Chitchee"
(named by Addie)
He is a black and yellow striped spider who
lives in the daisy bushes by our front porch
and spins a beautiful new web every night while we're sleeping.
I explained to Addie that spiders build webs as they're home
and as a way to catch other bugs so they'll have something
to eat. I told her that if a bug gets caught in the web
the spider rushes to his prey and immediately starts spinning
it up in the silk string the spider produces.
Chitchee so she could see this process
I had just explained to her. The first couple attempts
of dropping little bugs into the web didn't work. They would
just fall or squirm out of the web. So I got some tweezers
and caught a little grasshopper. We stuck that sucker
right into the web and let Chitchee come and get it.
caused Chitchee to rush to his prey and start the
spinning process.
up with in seconds. In this pic you can actually see
the silk coming out from his abdomen as he is
finishing up.
the grasshopper he left him alone for little bit
(probably to finish up dying) the went in for the feast.
The next morning the grasshopper was gone and
another beautiful web had been spun.
I have to admit I'm not a fan of spiders but it's been
fun to feed Chitchee and watch him.







5 comments:
pretty spider and kind of scary all at the same time...that poor grasshopper, it didn't hop into that web! i got picked up by tweesers and stuck in that web to die and have it's blood sucked.
Teasing!!! I think it's great how you take the time to teach addie about things. i just say "it's a spider, now come on let's go!" you're a great mom.
p.s. your pics are amazing! they could be in a book, really.
Agreed. Your pictures are incredible. But if I saw a spider like that outside our house, I would run for the poison as fast as I could. What a great and BRAVE mom to teach your children like that!
I was always trying to take pictures of bees and bugs that I saw and they never turned out. Do you have a nice camera? What is your secret?
What the craziness! We've been feeding "our" spiders just like yours in the neighboring field. Weird!
And yes, these BIG guys are SO cool to watch while they wrap up their food.
Post a Comment