As if we hadn't been on the road enough lately....
Why not throw in an 11 hr. drive to Iowa?
Yes a week after the kids and I got back to Casper from Utah we loaded
up the van with ourselves and 3 of our favorite people and headed
out to Iowa.
(but that week in between...we spent packing up our whole house!
so fun, I know!)
It was a pleasant drive and all 3 kids did very well.
We rolled in late Sunday night but woke up Monday
morning ready to hit up the zoo with our friends,
Rykker, Brigham, and Mindy Stromberg.
After a year of being apart, Addie and Rykker reunited
like they had seen eachother yesterday! They had so much
fun exploring the zoo together and the new Dinosaur
exhibit they had there. They were side by side the whole time.
We saw lots of fun animals and we even got
to ride the zoo train. Trey thought riding the train
was heaven. He was grinning ear to ear the whole ride.
And the other kids loved it too. Thanks again Mindy
Rykker and Brigham for inviting us to the zoo.
Next stop on the list:
PELLA!!!
And when I say list I mean list. Addie had a list
of places we had to go when we were in Iowa.
The zoo being one of them and Pella being another.
She loves pella. And who wouldn't love this sweet
little dutch town full of dutch charm.
The morning started out stormy and rainy so I was hesitant
to make the 45 min drive. But Addie convinced me we
should still go. Well, as it turned out we had beautiful
sunny weather the whole 2 1/2 hours we were there!
And you can't go to Pella without having a treat from
the awesome Jaarsma Bakery. Dutch pastries of all
sorts and chocolate and nuts galore! The kids
always go for the brightly colored frosted
sugar cookies.
I have yet to go to Pella when the Tulip festival is going on.
The town is covered in beautiful tulips and i'm dying to
see it. Maybe at Ty's graduation we'll be able to see them!
You also can't go to pella and not watch the
Klokenshpel. This is Addies favorite part.
The clock goes of every odd hour and plays a 10 min
chime/song and little figurines that come out at the windows
below the clock. Each figure represents some sort
the Pella history. Yet another great trip to Pella!
And no more than 5 min after getting on the road to
head back to Des Moines it started to
DOWN POUR rain, and not just sprinkles. I mean
the classic Midwest down pour! I miss that kind of rain....
We couldn't have picked a more beautiful time of year
to go to Iowa. Yes it was hot and sticky because of the
humidity, but it was also so GREEN and lush. With
wild flowers everywhere!! I miss the tall green cornfields
and flowers that grow where ever and all over!
Our trip was short and sweet. After 4 fun days of being back
in Des Moines, IA we made the 11 hr. trek back to Casper.
Ty was amazing as usual and drove the entire way home.
I got to sit back and watch the MILLIONS of bugs splatter
on our windshield...yes those are all bugs on our windshield in
that picture...not rain. Our windshield was covered inch to inch
with bug splats! But even more fun was the rain/lightning storm we drove
through at about midnight. The lightning was amazing and lit up the
entire sky around us. I love lightning storms and they don't get much
better than in the Mid West!
We had such a great time in Iowa. It made me miss it so much
and all our great friends that are there. A huge thanks to
one of those good friends for letting us stay at their house
while we were there! And a thanks to Ty's school for making
him come back to do some mandatory testing at the school so
we could come back and visit. So I guess in reality, the kids
and I were the ones that really had fun...while Tyler was
being tested everyday and studying more every night.
Although, he did manage to go out shopping with us at all our
favorite places for an entire afternoon!! And believe it or not
we ALL had a fun time shopping...yes even Tyler!!
















2 comments:
I miss Iowa so much and I have only been gone 3 months! You don't realize how great it is until you don't live there anymore! Our malls here don't even measure up to Jordan Creek. Glad you guys had a good time!
Miss that place! Glad you guys got to go back and see it. I'm holding out for graduation. :)
Post a Comment